News

Mass Burial Scheduled On Friday For Owo Massacre Victims – Ondo State Govt.

Mass Burial Scheduled On Friday For Owo Massacre Victims - Ondo State Govt.

Mass Burial Scheduled On Friday For Owo Massacre Victims – Ondo State Govt. 

Mass Burial Scheduled On Friday For Owo Massacre Victims – Ondo State Govt.

The mass burial of those who died in the terrorist attack on St. Francis Catholic Church in Owo, Ondo State last week Sunday has been set for Friday, June 17, 2022, by the Catholic Diocese of Ondo.

According to the church, at least 40 people were killed in the incident, with many more injured.

Rev. Fr. Augustine Ikwu, the Diocese’s Director of Social Communication, confirmed the date of the mass burial to our correspondent on Monday.

ALSO, READ Fulani Herdsmen Attack Catholic Church In Ondo State, Killing Many (Video)

The mass burial, according to Ikwu, would take place at the church’s new cemetery on Emure Road in Owo.

“The mass burial would take place at the new cemetery of the church on Friday in Owo,” he said.

He maintained that the number of the deceased still remained 40.

ALSO, READ Gunmen Who Killed Members of St Francis Church In Owo Have Been Caught (Video)

Mass Burial Scheduled On Friday For Owo Massacre Victims – Ondo State Govt. 

It was gathered that the injured victims are still receiving treatment at the Federal Medical Centre and the St. Louis Catholic Hospital both in Owo and some other private hospitals in the state.

However, no one has been arrested in connection with the attack.

 Meanwhile, the Lagos State Governor, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has declared a three-day mourning for the victims of the attack.

The governor, in a statement issued by the state Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr Gbenga Omostoso, on Monday, directed that all flags should fly at half-mast as part of decision to mourn the victims at the Southern Governors’ meeting.

Sanwo-Olu also urged Lagos residents and visitors to remain law-abiding and vigilant as the government is doing everything to ensure that peace continues to prevail in the state.

He said, “Flags are flying at half-mast in Lagos following Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu’s directive. The action is for three days to mourn the victims of the St. Francis Catholic Church, Owo, Ondo State, terrorist attack.

Mass Burial Scheduled On Friday For Owo Massacre Victims – Ondo State Govt. 

“The decision to mourn the victims came at a Southwest Governors’ June 10 virtual meeting, which reviewed the security situation in the region. The communique issued after the meeting was signed by Governors Rotimi Akeredolu, Ondo; Kayode Fayemi, Ekiti; Gboyega Oyetola, Osun; Dapo Abiodun, Ogun; Seyi Makinde, Oyo and Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos.

ALSO, READ Biden Led US Govt. Suspends Vaccine Mandate After Court Ruling

“The governors condemned in very strong terms the horrendous crime perpetrated by terrorists against the people and residents of Owo, Ondo State and, by extension, the peace-loving people of the South-West.”

The PreacherMan

A God-kind Blogger, Evangelist, Song-writer, Teacher and Soul-Winner.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button
error: Alert: Content is protected !!
%d bloggers like this: